Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Proposal for Dog Parks Along HWY 90 Beaches



We all have our idiosyncracies. One of many that I have is frustration with a disregard for rules/laws/ordinances. But, the greater frustration is the failure to enforce ordinances. I have been told that a lack of funds is the impediment to ordinances being enforced along HWY 90 Sand Beaches. 



So, why is this my business at all? Why can't I just change the direction of my view, or pretend that I just don't see what I am seeing?

It seems possible to me that the public welfare is at risk when ordinances are being violated. Isn't that why ordinances were developed to begin with? Surely those in positions of authority do not purposefully make useless ordinances because they have nothing better to do... Think of the funds that has been put into the ordinance signs--why pay for the signs if ordinances were not to be enforced?

Before I make a bunch of people upset with me--I like dogs. I used to have a Lab that loved water even better than a treat. But, as a responsible human owned by a lab, I would make sure that she was allowed wherever I took her and was prepared to take care of her needs during the outing. 

What business is it of mine if ordinances are obeyed?
I am a local resident that walks the Sand Beaches regularly, especially around Long Beach. I pay taxes. The economy of Harrison County is closely tied to the conditions of the beaches.

As a local, I love seeing our beaches come alive with visitors again, especially after the BP Oil catastrophe in the Summer of 2010. 

I believe Harrison County Sand Beach Department is doing an excellent job in keeping the beaches looking nice and enjoyable. This IS important to the welfare of locals--as so many businesses are tied to the tourist industry and the tourist industry is tied to the beach, fishing, boating, and other water sports.
What if it would benefit tourism if dogs were allowed on the beach? Would that create harmful and unhealthy conditions--which is why dog ordinances were developed anyway? What if Harrison County established doggy parks along the beach? BUT--because this could be an expensive undertaking--charge admittance to the doggy parks.

I still take a bag to pick up litter and potentially hurtful items in the sand as I go. This is good exercise. It would be better if people would be more thoughtful and not litter.

I have had opportunity to meet many other locals who also frequent the beaches and piers. It seems I always talk to those who back up my efforts to pick up litter. These folks also claim to not litter themselves and are also upset that others are trashing our environment. While talking to locals I have queried the general interest in developing a Volunteer Beach Patrol. I did not take names; but, if we were allowed to form a volunteer group--I believe it would not be difficult to  do so and to quickly make a positive impact.


       



Rather than a calling the volunteer group--a patrol--possibly they would be thought of as Sand Beach Ambassadors, or Sand Beach Stewards. I can tell you for certain if a local gets out and mixes with the public on the beach--that person will be inundated with questions--. Volunteers should be able to answer questions about fish, tides, jelly fish stings...

Actually, it is possible that local businesses would sponsor Beach Ambassadors (or Stewards). Pending approval, possibly Beach Stewards could pass out coupons to local businesses while they mix with the public and answer questions.

The Sand Beach Ambassadors should also have special vests, t'shirts, caps--which hopefully could be paid for by sponsors. We should also make T'shirts/Muscle shirts/Caps and wristbands with a catchy saying that would indicate support of Ordinances, fishing rules-regs, ecology. 
I believe locals and tourists would buy them and it would help remind everyone to be remember not to litter, etc.
I believe we could get sponsors for these items, then sell at a very reasonable price, giving a good number away to people we randomly catch doing proper environmental things, like putting trash in a receptacle.

To Summarize; I have been thinking of this program a good while. I believe it is a reasonable way to take some problems and irritants and create something good and lasting to replace them with.
I am including my photo because some people would recognize me from our beach chats. If you are interested in this project, please email me at: goalfocus@gmail.com .

Thank you,
Suzi Gravenstuk, Resident, Long Beach MS
Home: 228-206-5683








No comments:

Mississippi Gulf Coast